Picture Queensland Connections

Cars parked near Goomeri Showgrounds, 1927 (#174679)

 Cars parked near Goomeri Showgrounds, 1927

The earliest European settlements in the Goomeri area were at Booubyjan Homestead and Boonara Station, both established around 1846. Both slowly faded away in the early 20th century with the arrival of the railways. Goomeri itself was originally a railway siding used primarily by timber hauliers and local farmers, and its name is allegedly derived from an aboriginal word for 'broken shield'. A land sale in 1911 opened up 12,000 hectares of rural allotments and town blocks for settlement. This drew hundreds of new residents to the area and permanently established the township. (Information taken from: South Burnett Tourism, retrieved on 3 March 2005, from )

Connections

Location